Welcome!

I am happy for your visit looking forward to your comments. All you Holy men and women, pray for us!


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lenten traditions/sacrificies:

Due to the move I almost forgot a wonderful Lenten activity with do with the children every year. Thanks be to God I remembered before Lent was over.   It was introduced to us by our good friend Mary several years ago and has been a great success in our family.  Thanks Mary!  It is the Lenten Crown of Thorns. 

At the beginning of Lent, (preferably Ash Wednesday) we take 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of salt and enough water to make a dough.  We roll it into three long "snakes" and I braid them into a crown.  We put in many toothpicks and then bake it at 350* for one hour.  If you want it to be brown you can paint on egg whites as an option.  After the crown is cooled we put it in the center of the table on a purple napkin and the good deeds start.  See, when someone in the family does something extra good, kind or wonderful for someone else they get to take out a thorn from our Lord's Crown.  The goal is for all of the thorns to be removed by Easter Sunday.  The children are always so excited to take out a thorn!  I like this because instead of always focusing on giving something up we can help the children remember that doing a extra for our Lord it good during Lent too.  I like having both aspects be remembered each Lent (especially for me). 

Please share with me any Lenten traditions your family does and maybe I can add to our Lenten journey for next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment